Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Friday, March 25, 2011

Hedgerow Happiness and Soil Science

 Prelude:  This evening I am on "lambing duty" and I am a bundle of nerves.  Two of the ewes are showing many signs of readiness and I feel totally unprepared.  I ought to be sleeping now so I can make the 11PM and the 3PM check, but I'm too jumpy to sleep.  So I'll be back to finish this later.





This morning, our group headed off to the hedgerow between north and south Waslaske field.  With our loppers, saws and pruners, we cleared about 100 feet.  Having less foliage between the fields allows for better airflow.
Before


After




Here we are walking back for lunch

This afternoon was our session on soil science with John Howell.  Wow, did I learn a lot!  We've had several sessions on soils and he had a magical way to bring it all together.  Soil has structure--differently sized particles with space in between--and soil has chemistry.
(More to come)








"We know more about the movement of celestial bodies than about the soil underfoot."
Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment