Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Buttoning up the Farm (and bonus "hamster" video)

Today we "buttoned up" the farm for Thanksgiving break.  A list of tasks was presented and we each took on a few to tidy up, fix up, throw out or clean various parts of the farm.  I didn't have my camera with me but I worked on two tasks.  The first task was the "creamery room" which used to hold the milk storage equipment when this farm was a dairy farm.  Now it holds the grain and feed for the animals.  I swept it out, arranged it a bit, put signs over the different feeds and that is about it.  When that task was complete, I took on the workshop.  I began by sorting the materials I could tell were out of place, finding their places.  Then I started in on items that didn't have a place.  Luckily, Justin popped in and helped me to figure out what these things were and he worked on the far side of the shop while I tidied the work bench.  A few others joined us for a bit and then, I found myself absorbed in the hardware drawers and spent the rest of the morning sorting bolts, nuts, brackets and other unnamed items.  I may pop out and take photos of some of these beautiful pieces of hardware.  I'm sure they have a use but I couldn't figure them out.

After lunch, people packed up to leave.  Olivier invited me to come and help him move the cows.  After inspecting the pastures, he decided  to move them to the upper half of Ida's field.  We inspected the fence, re-did the gate, let the cows in and then closed them up.  The cows kept bawling at us for food so it was decided that we needed to feed them.  We moved the round manger up into their field, set up the water and brought out two bales of hay for them.  I couldn't resist taking this video of Olivier moving the manger like a hamster wheel.


I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving.  As you enjoy your dinner, thank the farmer(s), either in person or in thought, who grew the vegetables and fruit and nuts and meat and dairy for your meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment