Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bee Class and Independent Projects Day 1

This morning we met with Jen to learn about bee diseases and then take a look into the health of the beehives here at Maggie's Farm.

Diseases of bees: (photos and details to come)

Inspecting the hives  (photos and details to come)




This afternoon we had our first "Independent Project" work time.  I went to Sentinel elm to set myself up in the orchard.  While I was waiting for the children to return from a walk to see the lambs and piglets at Maggie's, I watched Justin set up his forge.


Justin, forging ahead on his independent project

When the children returned, I took them up to the orchard to go over the basics of pruning.  They marked branches that fit  the D criteria (dead, diseased, damaged or disoriented) and then we went around pruning them.  They helped to remove suckers --roots shooting up new branches-- and then we collected the trimmings.  I returned to the orchard and continued to prune and clear around the trees.  The new trees should show up this week and we'll plant them with the next group.

No comments:

Post a Comment