Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The photograph I wish I had taken...

Our youngest layer hens are learning to cope with snow.  Last week, after our big snow storm when the drifts in the chicken yard average 12 inches deep, the pullets came bounding out of their coop and into the snow, fluffy-butt high.  They flapped and squawked, trying to make their way to food and water.  We shoveled paths for them as well as laying down chaff to give them munchies.

Today, we have a little snow storm beginning.  There was about an inch of snow on the ground when I opened the pullet's coops.  They squawked. They flapped but they did not come out.  I pushed aside some snow in from their door and made a little path to their water and a few brave, thirsty souls followed me out and got a drink.  I took care of some other chores and when I came back with a shovel to clear the yard, the pullets were still not coming out.  BEGinning at their door, I scooped up the snow down to where the bigger coop is.  As I reached that gathering area, I turned around and saw a beautiful single-file line of black and white birds following me down.  It was an exquisite sight, with their red combs contrasting with the white and grey background.  It reminded me of the riddle:  What's black and white and red all over?  Pullets in a snow storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment