Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Catch up? Or cut back?

I'm thinking about the next few months of work here at Maggie's Farm.  And I'm thinking about how much I will be putting into this blog.  I started writing this for a friend who is interested in farming and found that I enjoyed it so much, that I would write the blog to remember all that this year brought to me.  Now I'm looking at the increased work load in the fields and pastures AND my desire to spend more time with people and plants and animals and less time with the computer.

I'll probably continue to take photos.  Perhaps a summary of the week or a special post to document some particular skill or event.   Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last Friday, our group spent a productive morning in the greenhouse, pricking out pepper plants and eggplant plants (plant plants???).  We had planted many of our starts earlier in the week and the greenhouse was getting empty.  Not any more!

Caitlin, Kiyoshi, Stephen, Sophia and Tyson

On Saturday, many of us went to Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine for a New Farmer's presentation on the basics of animal care.  

Egg grading demo

Goat Care demo

Pasture walk

Amazing Guard llama



















On Sunday, Sophia Kate and I had a blast making Baklava with pistachios and then delivering chunks to some of our favorite Mother-type women on the Ridge.  Happy Mother's Day, all!  And Thanks, Sophia and Kate, for making my Mother's Day so special!


Wendy, wowed...

Kim, capitivated

Theresa, touched!



2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your blog! But having been in your position, I'd recommend keeping up the photography, but prioritizing immersion on the farm and with your peers beyond things like writing blog posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for all the blogging - take a break if you must!! Second, shouldn't the caption on the photo of Wendy be "Wendy, wowed!"

    ReplyDelete