Farm School trainees

Farm School trainees
The Lucky Thirteen

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wood wood wood

Our morning was spent with Olivier.  I couldn't believe he had three hours of information regarding cord wood--wood that is used for heating--but he did and probably could have talked for more.  We reviewed the differences between soft and hard woods, then he proceeded to go through more than 20 species of wood describing the ease with which is it split, how how it burns, how long it burns and other random information.  Sprinkled in were anecdotes of heating with the particular wood.  Once the basic information was delivered, he discussed stacking options and safety issues.  Three hours passed quickly and my brain is full.  Sorry no photos!

Our afternoon was also about wood--bucking, splitting and stacking--as well as skidding in new logs for cordwood.  Emma and I were assigned to the sawmill--helping Josh take down the old timber frame as well as moving the timber left-overs--the slices of tree that are removed to make the posts and beam--over to the sugar shack for our syrup season in March.  Sorry, I kept my camera in my coat so I have no photo for this afternoon either.

We are expecting some bitter cold tonight, so we brought Pride into the barn for the evening.  Trying to stay warm works best when there is a lot of work to be done!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you stack it neater than this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmgs/5153669026/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a bit, but not too much. That reminds me I need to get a photo of the "Holthouzen" sp? stack.

    ReplyDelete